Health Officials Warn That Your Favourite Cocktail Could Give You Food Poisoning, When served In A Copper Mug
- 51 Likes
- 0 Comment
Turns out, drinking just anything and everything out of that copper mug is a bad idea!
Love drinking cocktails like the Moscow Mule out of those pretty copper mugs? You may need to rethink your choice of beverage or mug. With people posting pictures of their cocktails in copper mugs, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning about the use of these mugs.
A recent study, conducted by the Iowa Alcoholic Beverage Association, found that the copper mugs used to serve cocktails may actually be causing more than a hangover. They may be causing food poisoning.
According to the FDA, copper is prohibited from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH level of below 6.0. If food comes into contact with copper and has a pH level of below 6.0, the acidic levels could cause the copper to leach into the food. This is not recommended, and is actually quite harmful.
Food like vinegar, fruit juices, wine, and lime juice have a pH level of less than 6.0. These are commonly used to make cocktails.
"When copper and copper alloy surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food", according to the Alcoholic Beverages Division's statement. Copper poisoning can lead to stomach pains, diarrhoea, vomiting, and even the yellowing of the skin.
However, they also state that if the copper mugs have a nickel or stainless steel inner lining, then it is safe to drink out of these mugs.