Top Essential Oils For Treating Headaches
Headaches are a condition that most of us suffer from, from time to time. Some have dull aches that subside soon, and some have blinding headaches that carry on for days. Ugh, migraine! I have been on the receiving end of many such headaches myself.These headaches may be the result of an assortment of things – stress, a sinus infection, hormonal fluctuations, medications, lack of sleep, or some kind of physical trauma. While reaching for a painkiller is normally what most of us do, there is another way to help soothe these intense headaches – by using essential oils.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are highly-concentrated liquids made from the leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots, or other parts of a plant. Essential oils are used in aromatherapy, which dates back almost 6,000 years. Essential oils have traditionally been used for spiritual, physical, and therapeutic purposes.
Health benefits associated with the use of essential oils include reducing stress, improving circulation via scent, and treatment of headaches or the treatment of migraines, to name a few. Each essential oil offers different benefits.
Buy it here - Set Of 6 Essential Oils (10ml each)
How do essential oils help?
Experts believe that your sense of smell plays a very important role in your health. Breathing in scent molecules stimulates both your hippocampus and your amygdala (parts of your brain that store your emotions and memories).
Also, the molecules from the oils are absorbed into your bloodstream, and work together with your hormones and enzymes when you inhale these essential oils, either by getting a physical massage or when you use an inhalation process. Always remember while buying that the quality of the essential oil is very important. They must be made from natural plant products and not produced in a factory.
How to use essential oils
Essential oils are extremely potent, since they are pure. Applying them directly to the skin could cause a terrible reaction. You only need 2-3 drops of these oils to have the desired effect.
- It’s recommended that the essential oil you want to use be mixed with a carrier oil like olive oil, almond oil, or coconut oil before application to any part of the body.
(Organic Virgin Olive Oil / Ancient Living Almond Oil / Cold Pressed Coconut Oil)
- You can inhale these essential oils by placing them in a diffuser with water, or by putting it on a cotton ball and placing it close to where you are, so that the smell comes to you.
- Adding it to your bathwater is another way of the essential oils being absorbed into your body.
Which essential oils help with headaches:
- Lavender oil – Lavender oil is supposed to be very helpful in dealing with stress, anxiety, and depression. Tension headaches that are caused by stress are known to be greatly alleviated by inhaling lavender oil by using a diffuser, or by getting a massage using the oil, or even by adding a few drops of the oil to your bath.
2. Peppermint oil – Applying or massaging your forehead and temples with peppermint oil helps reduce the excruciating pain that you suffer from a headache. The menthol in the peppermint helps the muscles relax and the migraine subside. Always use a carrier oil like olive oil or coconut oil to dilute the essential oil before applying it.
3. Chamomile oil – Both chamomile tea and chamomile oil are known for their relaxing properties. Conditions like insomnia and stress are reduced by chamomile. However, pregnant women should not use chamomile essential oil as it could lead to a miscarriage. Add to your water bath or inhale it through your steamer.
healthhunt recommends - Set Of 12 Essential Oils -10ml each
Image source: https://www.visagenics.com/
4. Jasmine oil – The jasmine flower has a light scent, which is pleasing to both the nose and the mind. It helps alleviate bad moods and balance hormones. The intensity of the headaches will be greatly reduced by periodic application of this diluted oil.
Image source: https://draxe.com/
5. Rosemary oil – Rosemary oil has been known to help with increased circulation and treat all types of headaches. It is used extensively for dealing with insomnia, and as an anti-inflammatory oil. Massaging your temples or adding a few drops of rosemary oil to your hot water bath will help ease the pain.
Click here to buy - Organic Rosemary Essential Oil
6. Vetiver oil – Also known as khus oil, this oil has a very calming effect on people suffering from any kind of pain, anxiety, or stress. Pregnant women are, however, advised not to use this oil without consulting their doctors.
So now that you know which essential oils will help with those terrible headaches, you can pick and choose one that agrees with you. Smell the one that triggers your senses, and see if it works for you.