Top 7 Healthy Toppings For Salads
Dressing and seasoning is, of course, important. But if you want to make the perfect salad, make sure you don’t miss these toppings.A lot of people, especially those who are health conscious or are working, have salads as their main course at least once a day. Salads are a mixture of mainly fruits, or vegetables, or both (sometimes meat and pasta too), with toppings added for flavor, taste, and color.
Here are the top 7 healthy salad toppings that you can choose from, for a delicious and healthy treat:
1. Sesame seeds – Sesame is a wonder seed, with many health benefits. Sesame seeds are nutrient-rich, and help cure many ailments, including cholesterol problems, asthma, arthritis, constipation etc. They are good for the bones, gums, liver, heart, and skin. Be sure to include sesame seed as a regular topping for your salads.
2. Nuts and dried fruits – Almonds, cashews, walnuts, raisins, dried figs, and prunes make yummy toppings, adding a sweet taste and crunchy texture to salads. That apart, dry fruits are packed with nutrients, and are a must in one’s daily diet – what better way to eat them, than to top your salad with them! These nutrient-rich nuts and dried fruits will make your immune system strong, and your body healthy.
3. Cheese – We all know that cheese is rich in calcium and protein – 2 very essential nutrients required by our bodies, daily. Cheese makes a scrumptious topping – simply grate some on your salad. Choose the low-fat varieties of cheese for topping your salad, and you will not have to worry about weight gain too.
4. Yoghurt – ‘A dollop of yoghurt a day keeps gut problems away’. Top your salads with yoghurt, and keep the mayo and margarine away! The probiotics present in yoghurt help to keep the environment of the stomach healthy, and aid in digestion. Also, yoghurt adds a semi-sweet and semi-tangy taste to salads, and enhances its taste and flavour.
5. Olives – Control blood pressure, prevent heart disease, slow down the advancement of wrinkles, and more, with olives. These small fruits pack a punch! Good to eat, chopped olives make a great topping for salads. Complement this with some olive oil, and you have a super healthy dish ready!
6. Sunflower and flax seeds – These seeds are super salad toppers. Rich in zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, potassium, magnesium, and fibre, sunflower and flax seeds are good for the body. These seeds have antioxidant properties, and help in destroying harmful free radicals.
7. Pomegranate seeds – The beautiful ruby-red seeds of pomegranates look good, taste delightful, and are very nutritious. Pomegranate seeds will add sweetness to your salad, and vitamins A, C, and E to your body. Also, this fruit is good for diabetics, helps deal with cancer, and makes bones strong.
In fact, pomegranate is a superfood, and makes for a great topping!
If you have not tried the above-mentioned toppings with your salads yet, try them soon for a healthy and flavorsome eating experience!