The Top 10 Wellness Trends Of 2019
If you’ve been waiting eagerly for our wellness trend predictions for the year 2019, then you’re in for a blast.At the dawn of 2019, we spoke to industry experts about health and wellness trends of 2019 and they had good news to share. Through them, we bring you the trends that will define our idea of wellness in 2019, in the Indian subcontinent. Thank the universe, for all these trends are all invigorating and point to an awesome 2019. Ladies and gentlemen, let’s pull our acts together and create a better place for our future generation.
Here’s how it’s going to all go down:
TREND 1: HEALTHY FOOD TRENDS BECOME A PART OF DAY-TO-DAY LIFE
Today, we are more influenced by the fitness influencers we follow on Instagram than the wisdom of our own parents. We know all about the benefits of chia seeds, green coffee beans, food synergy, and intermittent fasting. The Kardashians have their own fitness advice to share. And who hasn’t tried keto diet?
But, this may all change, as 2019 has been marked as the year of ‘realisation’. We are on the path of realisation that some supposedly ‘healthy’ diets and exercise trends are not as beneficial, as they were once thought to be. We are eventually going back to the basics, adopting the lifestyle that was once practised by our grandparents.
Here are a few of the changes we can expect to see:
- Diets will increasingly comprise fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables. There will be lesser dependence on canned fruits and packaged vegetables which are pumped with chemicals.
- Home-cooked meals will increasingly find favour where we will prepare meals from the scratch. Less ready meals will be consumed, as we begin to understand the long-term effects of low-calorie and low-fat alternatives.
- Fitness products and the sheer choice that we have in that, have awakened the fit beast in us. We will now choose to be more physically active, spending additional time outside (which has the added bonus of giving us our daily dose of vitamin D) and tracking all the calories that we burn and the extra steps and miles that we take.
TREND 2: CONSUMING MORE ORGANIC PRODUCE
Organic food trends 2019, according to us will have us find ourselves reaching for organic produce more and more. While ‘organic’ in India is still far from certified, people are already more comfortable purchasing brands that deliver the organic promise.
What Is Organic Food?
Typically, food which is free of hormones, antibiotics, and chemicals, qualifies as organic. Organic meat means that the animals have not been injected with hormones or antibiotics.
The most popular choices of organic products are:
Grains and pulses are a large portion of the organic foods bought, and these foods are likely to experience the greatest growth in sales over the coming year. A few great brands in the Indian market are already supplying pulses, rice, grains, and spices in grocery supermarkets across India. The diet trends of 2019 will see foxtail, finger, pearl, kodo, little and proso millets, garner much-deserved attention and appreciation for their nutritional benefits, especially for diabetics.
TREND 3: UNDERSTANDING YOUR GUT HEALTH BETTER
The gut is the gateway to a healthy life. Because 60–80 per cent of our immune system is located in our gut, gut imbalances have been linked to hormonal imbalances, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression, eczema, rosacea, and other chronic health problems.
From over the counter probiotics, to fermented foods, more and more people are showing a keen interest in their gut health than ever before.
Here are our predictions for top trends in gut health for this year:
- Following a Plant-Based Diet
Having a diet that is entirely or predominantly plant-based is becoming increasingly popular. Studies have shown that an animal-based diet could increase the growth of unwanted gut bacteria compared to having a plant-based diet. A plant-based diet has also been linked to reduced levels of cholesterol and better weight management. Believe us, veganism isn’t just a lifestyle in the west. Indians are fast-adopting the conscientious way of living.
- Plant-Based Probiotics
- Healing Spices
There is a worldwide interest in the anti-inflammatory properties of spices. Research has shown that spices and herbs can help combat chronic stress and inflammation, both of which trigger various digestive problems, such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Spices like cinnamon and turmeric have become a popular choice for tea and coffee alternatives.
- Fermented Foods
TREND 4: ECO-FRIENDLY FASHION IS THE NEXT COOL THING
“The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.”
—Robert Swan OBE
Greenpeace USA reports that “the Earth is 4.6 billion years old. Scaling to 46 years, humans have been here for 4 hours, the industrial revolution began 1 minute ago, and in that time we’ve destroyed more than half the world’s forests.”
The extent to which we have damaged our planet is appalling. Thankfully, the environment-friendly movement has already gained traction. You’ll begin to see blogs, journalist reports, and media coverage focussing on eco-friendly and organic clothing.
Gisele Bündchen, Leonardo DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett, Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Al Gore, and Pierce Brosnan are some of the leading ‘green’ celebrities who’ve championed eco-friendly causes consistently. We will see more and more celebrities taking up the issue and giving it the attention it so very needs.
If you’re wary of spending that extra money on a shirt just because it’s sustainable fashion, consider these factors:
- Sustainable fashion is better for the planet. The fashion industry produces a huge quantity of toxic waste—from pesticides used in growing cotton, to the electricity used in producing each garment.
- It’s a healthier alternative. The dyes used in your favourite brand’s latest collection are full of harmful chemicals that enter your bloodstream through skin contact.
- You never have to live with the guilt of having been indirectly responsible for the suffering of animals. Yes, environment couture also means no leather and no silk.
- Your clothes will last longer. Give up those leggings that last 3 months and go for timeless fashion—sweaters that’ll last generations and jackets that can be used over and over.
TREND 5: TOTAL AND HONEST WELL-BEING
The organic beauty market hasn’t just been booming, it’s saturated across the globe. London-based market research firm Mintel predicted in its 2019 global consumer trends report, “Consumers are treating their bodies like an ecosystem and seeking solutions that complement their personal health and evolving needs. With experiences over material things being a key priority for consumers, companies need to focus on campaigns and opportunities that focus on making life memorable.”
TREND 6: YOGA RETAINS THE KING POSITION
Over the last decade, we have witnessed yoga climb its way up the fitness ladder, where today it sits at the very top.
In 2019, yoga’s popularity will become more pronounced, and we will see a number of new studios, camps, and retreats being developed. While different schools of yoga have always existed, in the coming year we are likely to see greater innovation, such as:
- Anti-gravitational yoga: The trend of aerial or anti-gravitational yoga is likely to continue through 2019. It is a combination of calisthenics, aerial acrobatics, Pilates, and yoga; and works on your body from head to toe.
- Pet yoga: Pet yoga (yes, it really is a thing) gives you time to bond with your pet. Typically, dog owners partake in this type of yoga. This practice is believed to be therapeutic on many levels, although it has been branded by some as a gimmick.
- Yoga as healing: Many therapists are now using yoga to heal the body of ailments. People with back problems, sciatica, spondylosis, and other health issues are increasingly engaging in some type of yoga therapy to heal.
TREND 7: TRENDS IN MEDITATION
Wholesome everyday living, mindfulness, and meditation have transformed into a full-blown industry in recent times, and it’s not likely to stop.
Guided meditation techniques will also increase in popularity. This kind of meditation involves a person or group, shaping their meditation practices, as per the guiding instructions of an experienced teacher, mentor, or professional. Guided meditation can be practised at your own convenience and doesn’t need prior experience and, hence, will be a popular trend of the year.
TREND 8: HOW TO LIVE A HOLISTIC LIFE
A holistic lifestyle aims to achieve an inner balance of mind, body, and spirit, using natural methods. People are being pulled towards this lifestyle, to help them balance various areas of their life: their relationships, health, finances, and spirituality.
Here are some practices you can adopt to begin living your life in a holistic way:
- Practice Mindfulness: Living in the moment is one of the most important values of a holistic lifestyle.
- Respect Your Body: Practice self-care and tap into the needs of your body.
- Let Go Of Negative Energy: Surround yourself with people who make you feel good. Learn to forgive and move forward, and you will find that you’re a more relaxed and happier person.
- Time to Grow: Take steps to grow as a person. Change is always difficult, so start with the little things and work towards achieving bigger goals.
“The much-ubiquitous stress today has ensured that wellness tourism became the industry’s fastest growing sector, clocking in an impressive $639billion value in the market. I think people are just beginning to admit that travel and vacations can actually be bad for your health. Transportation hassles, jet lag and poor sleep, disruption of exercise routines, and excesses in eating, drinking, and sun exposure can leave a traveller more stressed and less well than they started out. This is ironic because many people look forward to travel as an adventure and as an opportunity to rejuvenate and de-stress. As more and more people pay attention to their health, they increasingly want to keep up their healthy habits, when they travel. And a growing segment of travellers are even taking trips specifically focussed on maintaining and improving their personal health and well-being. This is driving the growth of wellness tourism.”
- Pooja Duggal, Founder and CEO, healthhunt
TREND 9: LET’S TAKE WOMEN’S HEALTH SERIOUSLY
Women’s health is set to be one of the top trends for this year. With more and more female entrepreneurs and fitness gurus joining the health and wellness space, we have seen an increased interest in women’s health over the last few years.
Here are our predictions for the 2019 top trends in women’s health:
- Innovative Skincare Products
- Improving Reproductive Health Using Technology
We have seen this introduced already with digital platforms which allow women to screen themselves for STDs, including HPV (the virus that causes cervical cancer), from the comfort of their own bathroom.
- Using High-Tech Sleep Science to Help Women Sleep Better
TREND 10: PAYING ATTENTION TO FINANCIAL WELLNESS
A lot of people were shocked when we decided to cover the subject at our recent event, the Future of Wellness 2018. But it’s time we all faced the truth: Financial stress takes a significant toll on our well-being.
A recent study in Psychosomatic Medicine found links between financial stressors and physiological distress and deteriorated psychological health. We are taught mathematics and sciences all our lives, but the school curriculum does not include management of personal finance. A lack of any sound background can then lead us to make wrong decisions, when it comes to personal finance and cause us grave stress. If you never believed in the materialistic world and its offerings, then we envy you. But for the 99.99% of us, financial strains can end up affecting all fronts of our lives – personal relationships and professional performance.
Therefore, in 2019, the world will see finance companies take initiatives at grass-root levels, for the rural and urban audience and their own employees, to begin a discourse around finance, investments, assets, clever planning, and financial wellness.
From apps that help you trade stock at no extra cost, to apps that help you learn how to make the best investment decisions yourself. If you’re self-employed, then there are apps that can help you create a retirement plan for yourself. What’s more, if you want to win the ‘Best Gifter 2019 Award’, there are apps that can help you fund an account with a stock gift card that gives the recipient shares of stock… starting at as low as $5. Oh, and in case you’re looking to invest in something more ‘trendy’, then there are umpteen apps that can help you start with the basic tutorials and help you trade in bitcoins.
Each New Year comes with new promises. Let’s promise this year to heal, support, encourage, build, and love each other and our journeys. Wellness trends 2019 is nothing, but a projection of the potential this wonderful year holds for us, and we need your help to make it happen. For, wellness is bigger than just one of us – it’s all of us, our philosophies, victories and losses, laughter and tears, combined. It’s how we change every year, as we attempt new things and leave behind our fears.
Sign up for our daily dose of customised, fact-checked, verified, and powerful wellness information here. Wishing you and your loved ones a healthy and happy 2019!