The 6 Sicknesses Sex Can Trigger
Falling sick too often lately? Maybe you got bitten by the love bug.Love (sex) sickness is a real thing! No, the weird feeling rising from the pit of the stomach, the butterflies, the sweaty palms, the daydreaming, or even the stammering don’t count. The sicknesses here are uh, grimmer.
Behold the 6 sicknesses sex can trigger:
- Amnesia – This happens when you have the kind of mind-blowing sex that actually blows your mind, like a temporary short circuit. Called transient global amnesia, it was first reported in the September 2011 issue of The Journal of Emergency Medicine, and has continued to baffle medical professionals since, because we still don’t know what causes it. By the way, it is not as common as you may think. It only happens to 3-5 people out of 1,00,000 people, annually.
- Depression – A study published in the International Journal of Sexual Health showed that one-third of all women tend to feel depressed after even a perfectly satisfying session of lovemaking. This condition is referred to as post-coital dysphoria, often accompanied by feelings of anxiety, sadness, regret, or irritability. A little regret after a not-so-good encounter is okay, but if you regularly tend to feel low after sex, it deserves looking into.
- Yeast infection – I call it the itch that can be a bi**ch. Vaginal tracts naturally contain a little yeast, that under normal circumstances, doesn’t cause trouble. But when semen or a lubricant is introduced, the change in pH balance results in itching and irritation, painful sex, and a thick discharge.
- Bacterial vaginosis – Have you been smelling something fishy? You might want to get yourself checked for bacterial vaginosis, which may be caused by a variety of reasons – from a change in pH balance due to semen, to the introduction of bacteria from outside during sex. The characteristic symptom of bacterial vaginosis is the fishy-smelling discharge.
- Post-orgasmic illness syndrome – A sudden flu every time you have sex? Symptoms like a runny nose, headache, fatigue, joint pain et cetera., that appear right after a good ol’ session of slap n tickle, may be more than just seasonal influenza. Post-orgasmic illness syndrome is an amusing illness identified in 2002, that affects only men every time they orgasm, and yes, it only happens if the person orgasms. A rompy session that doesn’t have a ‘happy ending’ will not make the person sick.
6. Headache – 20 per cent of women and 5 per cent of guys are said to experience ‘exertional headaches’ – a headache caused by increased blood pressure in the brain, that usually occurs during exercise. It’s also called pre-orgasmic headaches, that start off dull, and intensify as climax is achieved. The pain may linger for up to 30 minutes after the act, and can be countered by popping a painkiller (as prescribed by your physician) half-an-hour before the action begins.
Remember, apart from these rather exotic conditions, there are other common diseases as well that are spread through contact during sex, such as flu, viral fever, meningitis, gingivitis, mumps, and even polio, which should not be ignored. It’s how I always say – spread the love, not the sickness.