The Shocking Ways Sex Can Affect Your Period...and More
Here’s one ‘unsurprising’ fact we already know about the relationship between sex and periods – if you have unprotected sex all the time and you’re a woman, chances are, you won’t have your periods for the next 9 (and a little more) months...and at the end of this period, you’ll have a little human being in your hand.Freaked out yet? Well, I hope, I have your attention now.
A lot of women have it tough during ovulation, premenstrual and menstrual phase, because of drastic hormonal changes, and this naturally takes a toll on their sex life. But did you know that it also works the other way around?
Just as periods affect sex, sex can affect periods too…and not always in a bad way. Here are the 4 shocking ways sex can affect your or your partners’ periods.
Image source: https://www.bustle.com/
- Don’t have a fright if you just had period sex and noticed your blood flow increase. It’s totally normal! Even for women with mild flow, orgasms can shake up the endometrial tissues and speed up blood flow.
So, you’re not bleeding more; you’re just bleeding faster since the uterus is feeling refreshed from the orgasm and is pushing harder. Also, read on to know what sex positions can minimise mess and maximise pleasure during this time.
2. Did you know that there are chemicals in your body, called endorphins, which work as natural pain relievers? Yes, you read that right. When you have sex, your body releases a ton of these endorphins, thereby relieving symptoms of PMS like cramps, soreness, and discomfort.
I ask, do you have a headache? Have sex! Are you feeling low? Have sex!
3. Additionally, studies have found that women who have regular sex (at least once a week) have more regular cycles. The logic is simple: It’s all a game of hormones. The same study showed that women who hadn’t had sex yet or were only indulging in it sporadically had more extreme cycles – either too short or too long.
But if I were you, I wouldn’t take these studies too seriously. I’d just say, have sex every chance you feel like. If that’s not your thing, it still wouldn’t be the end of the world. I have friends who prefer other things to sex – like pizza! So, if pizza is your thing, then go for it.
As promised, here are my top bonus tips on period sex positions that work like magic because they ensure a minimum of mess and a maximum of pleasure.
Image source: https://in.askmen.com/
- Spooning: I’d happily admit this one to be my most favourite. Spooning allows for easy, quick, and shallow penetration which keeps the pressure off of cervix, discourages blood flow for the time being, and helps women avoid a lot of discomfort and leakage while seeking pleasure.
2. Reverse cowgirl: This position allows the woman to be in control, pacing and leading the whole act. This means that she can decide the extent of penetration, stimulate her clitoris, and thus ensure 100 per cent comfort throughout. Make sure you plan everything in advance and keep towels or tissues handy to clean up after.
3. Shower sex: This is for those who tend to faint at the sight of blood. Also, if you want to stay clean as you go and feel great after, there is nothing better than shower sex, especially if it’s a warm shower. The warmth will relax muscles, relieve cramping, and help you hit the big O button without much trouble.
In closing, I’d say that sex is a good thing…unless you’re a minor, without protection, or not feeling up to it. But if you are in fact in the mood for it, then something silly as periods shouldn’t come in the way. Godspeed, ladies and gentlemen!