Sex After 60: 5 Things To Keep In Mind
Sex is everyone’s birthright, and basically better late than never. Or maybe it’s just better late. Here are a few things you should know.‘Sex after 60’. Sounds like a movie, and why not? There is no better time to love than at 60, no better time to begin to live! Your entire life was spent on first educating yourself, then educating your children, working your butt off to secure your family, and struggling with the daily drama. That much struggle is bound to give you more than a few greys and wrinkles. Now you’re 60, and you feel like your entire life just whizzed by. Not true: what have you lost, but a few hairs and some calcium? You’ve only gained in these 60 years or so – both weight and wisdom.
Now you only have obligations to yourself, and to your partner. Why don’t you go out on dates, buy each other gifts, get a couples’ massage, and make sweet love?
Don’t give me the “Oh, I’m too old for that”. You’re NOT. When it comes to senior sex, it’s use it or lose it. You should have sex, just like you try and get regular exercise. It’s a part of taking care of yourself. A lot of adults above 60 years of age are making some great love, the kind that is supposed to be knocking socks off, says research. Specifically, data from the University of Chicago’s National Social Life, Health and Aging Project, presented in the New England Journal of Medicine, revealed that many men and women remain sexually active even when in their 70s and 80s. Go for a jog, do a few push-ups, have a smoothie, and get ready to rock and roll!
But before you begin (in case you haven’t already), keep these little things in mind, for they may come in handy for an overall smooth round or 2 of the good ol’ slap and tickle.
- Just get it on – In all honesty, if you don’t use a machine for years, it is obvious that it will rust. Your sex organs are no different. Post 40, your sex drive starts receding, taking a lazy backseat. But that does not mean that you let everything waste away. If everything is in order physiologically, there should be nothing stopping you from getting at it, and believe me, the desire will follow.
- Calendar check – Spontaneity is overrated. Plus, you’ve had enough of it by now. What you could try at this point, is schedule a session in advance; make a timetable if you must. Not only will it give you time to cuddle, and fondle, and slowly move into it, but also, just the anticipation will get you sufficiently aroused.
- Decode your ‘tingle time’ – The sex drive, even for a 20-year-old, ebbs and flows through the day. The worst time, by the way, would be after a heavy meal, because all of your body’s energy is getting directed to your digestion at that time. Listen to your body, when does it ‘tingle’? Whether it’s at 2 am or 5 pm, we say, go for it!
- The wetter, the better – Older women tend to lose the natural lubrication they have when they’re younger. Hormonal changes can be a reason for it, but thank God for lubricants – all your ‘wet worries’ should be sorted.
- Go the extra mile – A strategically chosen/used sex toy can be just the extra push you needed to reach an orgasm. Older couples often need more stimulation, which is intense. Don’t be afraid to try new things for some extra spice. Stop being boring, this is no time for that. This is the time to do the tango.