All That You Need To Know, To Get Rid Of Cellulite
It’s sad to see the number of misconceptions around cellulite that exist in the world today. Let’s get our facts right.Cellulite affects approximately 93 per cent of women and teenage girls, across the world. Cellulite is the result of fat cells pushing against the skin, and the connective muscle tissues being pulled down, resulting in dimpled, orange peel looking skin. Fat is very soft, which is why it doesn't keep our skin taut, the way muscle does. Also, since it takes up more space than muscle, it bulges out, giving an uneven look to our thighs and stomach.
The reason why you see less cellulite on men, as compared to women, is because of the structure of the muscles – women have honeycomb-shaped fibres, and men have horizontal, criss-cross fibres. The fat pushes through the honeycomb structure, causing the dimpling of the skin, and is, therefore, more visible on a woman’s body.
Did you know that cellulite is genetic? If your mom has cellulite, the chances of you developing it are high. I know – pretty annoying, right? While there is no way to completely get rid of cellulite, there are ways to minimise the appearance, and make your body look smoother and fitter.
Factors that could lead to cellulite:
- Being inactive for long periods
- Sluggish metabolism
- Eat right – What you eat, shows up on your skin. If you have a high salt intake, your fat cells will swell, and your cellulite will look worse than ever. Watch your salt intake, and increase your whole grain ingestion (oats, bran). This will get rid of the toxins in your digestive system. Also, drink a lot of water, and eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise – Cellulite is basically fat, and we all know that the best way to lose it is to exercise regularly. Take up yoga, swimming, cycling, or walking. Tone up with cardio and core-strengthening exercises, to help you achieve a leaner and firmer look.
3. Stay hydrated – Your body needs water to stay healthy. So drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day. You could add lemon to your water, if you don’t like the taste of plain water.
4. Dry brushing – Dry brushing improves blood circulation, stimulates your lymphatic system, opens up your pores, and releases toxins. This can be done every day. Remember that the brush strokes should be towards the heart. Starting with your feet, work your way up to your shoulders. Long brush strokes should be used. However, when dry brushing your abdomen, use the counter-clockwise motion.
5. Home-made coffee scrub – You can drink coffee to improve blood circulation, and use the coffee granules to make a scrub to help you reduce the cellulite on your body. The caffeine in coffee has a tightening effect on your skin. Exfoliation is also a great way to slough away dead cells. You can make a coffee scrub using coffee granules, sugar, and melted coconut oil. Massage this paste onto the skin, using gentle pressure, for about 10 minutes. If you do it 2-3 times a week, you will see a visible reduction in cellulite.
6. Omega-3 supplements – As per some studies, the intake of the wrong kinds of fats could cause an imbalance of fatty acids, which the body needs for smooth skin and tissue. It is felt that consuming enough omega-3 fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins can help reduce cellulite over a period of time. Since omega-3 is important for other bodily functions too, it won’t hurt to try it!
7. Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar contains minerals, potassium, magnesium, and calcium. These components play an important part in flushing out toxins, and preventing water retention around the thighs and stomach. This, in turn, helps reduce bloating and cellulite. Plus, drinking apple cider vinegar is considered effective for weight loss. Mix 2 parts of water with 1-part apple cider vinegar. You could add some honey to this as well. Rub the cellulite-affected areas with this solution, and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse off with warm water. If done twice a day, you will soon see a difference.
Using the above tips to get rid of cellulite, you can alter the way your body looks – all of these can help you achieve tauter and smoother skin, and you can bid goodbye to bumpy, dimpled thighs and stomach.