The Appalling Link Between Teenage Obesity And Stroke Risk
Health Hunt Please change Orientation

Want to unlock the secrets of holistic health?

Yes, tell me more No, I like living in oblivion
3
Notifications Mark all as read
Loader Image
No notifications found !
  • English
  • हिन्दी
3
Notifications Mark all as read
Loader Image
No notifications found !
Partner with Us
  • English
  • हिन्दी
Default Profile Pic

0 New Card

The Appalling Link Between Teenage Obesity And Stroke Risk

Fitness
Neeru Agarwal
2 min read

The Appalling Link Between Teenage Obesity And Stroke Risk

  • 51 Likes
  • 0 Comment

With the obesity epidemic crippling the society far and wide, teenage obesity means an 80 per cent higher probability of a stroke in adulthood.

Overweight teenage boys are 80 per cent more likely to suffer from a stroke in adulthood, warns a study, published in the journal Neurology.

Jenny M. Kindblom, from the University of Gothenburg in Sweden, conducted a research study. In the study, the team analysed the body mass index (BMI) of 37,669 Swedish men at the age of 8, and then again at age 20.

The outcome was startling. With the obesity epidemic crippling the society far and wide, teenage obesity means an 80 per cent higher probability of a stroke in adulthood. This is because of excessive BMI increase. More specifically, the chances of a stroke in adulthood increased by 20 per cent with every 2-point rise in BMI. The effects could definitely be much deeper, including high blood pressure, which is a major cause of strokes.

The 80 per cent figure refers to males who became overweight during their teenage years and then stayed that way, compared with males who were always a healthy weight. The risk isn’t higher for children below the age of 13. Children who continued to remain overweight, or became overweight after hitting puberty, are the ones at risk.

The risk of an ischaemic stroke is increased due to obesity. The arteries get clogged due to fatty deposits, which can cause a blood clot, resulting in the blood supply to the brain being cut off.

Gone are the days where families used to sit together and eat meals prepared at home. There has been an exponential increase in double-income nuclear families. The outcome of overly busy and occupied parents is that they wish to pamper their child more in the less time that they can spend together. Then whether its ordering in most days or accepting the child’s resistance to nutritious food, parents are doing it all.

If you could identify your family from the small citation above, and are responsible for an overweight teenager, hold your breath, because statistics from the World Health Organization show that 31 per cent deaths, globally, are due to cardiovascular diseases.

The health of your children is at stake. Take action, now!

Comment (0)

Submit Loader Image
Neeru Agarwal

Neeru Agarwal

A science graduate and an inquisitive person, I always was keen to explore alternative medicines and home remedies so as to restore health the easy way in this overly busy lifestyle. A born introvert sensitive to nature and social ethics, inclined in self-improvement through practicing meditation, I love to explore, learn, and share.
Neeru Agarwal

Neeru Agarwal

A science graduate and an inquisitive person, I always was keen to explore alternative medicines and home remedies so as to restore health the easy way in this overly busy lifestyle. A born introvert sensitive to nature and social ethics, inclined in self-improvement through practicing meditation, I love to explore, learn, and share.


By clicking “Accept” or continuing to use our site, you agree to our Privacy policy for website

Ask the Experts

Some things to keep in mind

Have a question related to the following? We’d love to help. Please submit your query, and feel free to leave your name or choose the option of staying anonymous. If our team of experts are able to respond, you will be notified via email, and an article might be published with the response.



  • Nutrition
  • Fitness
  • Organic Beauty
  • Mental Wellbeing
  • Love
Cancel

Keep me anonymous. Cancel

Thank you! We look forward to answering your question.

All responses can be seen in the ‘My Hunts’ section.