Hearty Barley Salad
Barley salad is a hearty salad packed with the goodness of barley, carrots and cucumber. It’s perfect for lunch.Serves 2
- 200 grams barley
- 1 onion- finely chopped
- 8-10 red cherry tomatoes- cut in half
- 1/2 cucumber- finely chopped
- 1 small carrot- finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- A dash of black pepper
- 8-10 basil leaves to garnish
- Handful of crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pour in 3 cups of water, barley and salt in a pan.
- Let it cook for 40-45 minutes, till the barley turns soft and tender.
- Thereafter, drain the barley and keep it aside to cool.
- While the barley simmers- put tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, onion, and feta cheese in a bowl. Mix them well. Add in the cooked barley and mix again.
- Take another bowl, pour in olive oil and vinegar along with pepper and salt, as per taste. Stir well. The dressing is ready.
- Pour the dressing on barley salad and toss well. Now, cover the salad with a wrap or lid and cool it in the refrigerator.
- If you prefer to eat the salad at room temperature, you can skip cooling it.