The Health Benefits Of Oats
- 768 Likes
- 0 Comment
It’s like the old proverb goes – ‘It’s not the horse that pulls the cart, it’s the oats.’ Oats, a fantastic thing to love.Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day, and oatmeal is my favourite thing to eat for breakfast. Not only is it super yummy, it has amazing health benefits too!
Here are top 5 health benefits of oats:
- Weight control – If you are trying to lose weight, you should have oatmeal for breakfast. It’s healthy and yummy too. It’s scientifically proven that oats are full of fibre, which keeps you full for longer.
- Lowers cholesterol – Oats are a rich source of a kind of soluble fibre called beta glucan, which lowers LDL, or bad cholesterol. The antioxidants present in oats help fight the free radicals that attack HDL, or good cholesterol.
- Lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease – The antioxidants in oats also prevent LDL from oxidising from copper, which prevents heart disease. They prevent the arteries from hardening, and causing atherosclerosis. They also prevent narrowing of the arteries, especially in postmenopausal women. Oats are highly beneficial for cardiovascular health.
4. Reduced risk of high blood pressure – Studies show that eating oats can help in reducing blood pressure.
5. Blood sugar health – Eating oats can help stabilise your blood sugar levels, and can also reduce your risk of developing diabetes.
Apart from the above, it also helps boost immunity and keeps constipation at bay. Some studies have also shown that oats can prevent breast cancer and colorectal cancer. It is rich in many nutrients including selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, and zinc. They have been found to be beneficial if taken before bed, in case you are unable to sleep well. A bowlful of oats is also recommended for lactating mothers.
healthhunt recommends - Bisibelebath With Oats And Millets
To top it all, oatmeal is great as an exfoliating agent too!
It is best to go for plain rolled or steel-cut oats, as instant oats usually have a high sugar content. They are usually gluten-free, but it’s always best to check before you buy, because some manufacturers add gluten to it. The antioxidants in oats are best absorbed when paired with vitamin C, so have a glass of fresh orange juice with your yummy breakfast!