10 Foods That Fuel Weight Loss
“Eat to lose weight.” Never heard that one before, eh?There are foods that burn fat and well, those that fuel it. Very often we find ourselves doing a balancing act as we binge, followed by a desperate need to purge. Confused about what to eat and what to skip? Here’s our list of top foods that have the ability to take you from fat to fit in no time.
- Oats – You may groan when you toss yet another helping of oats into a bowl for breakfast each morning, but as you shovel another bite into your mouth, remember that the fibre in each spoonful of this goodness helps speed up your metabolism, burning fat in the process.
- Nuts – Eating the right nuts (read almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts) in the right quantity (just a handful will suffice), leads to higher serotonin levels that translate into decreased appetite and better heart health.
- Eggs – Love to begin your day with an egg? This protein-packed powerhouse ups your metabolism, cutting fat in the process. Move over you ‘egg-skeptics’. This is fuel for the soul!
- Chicken, Pork, Fish – Lean chicken, pork, and fish can easily be incorporated into your diet if you are looking to burn fat. The trick is to be smart about choosing the right cut of meat, and cooking it in minimum fat, as that determines its overall health value and calories.
- Avocados – This super food can actually help dislodge that fat, as avocados contain monounsaturated fats that can easily be used by the body as an energy source. So put avocados on your list, if you are looking to lose a few kilos.
- Coconut Oil– Coconut oil is the new wonder elixir when it comes to weight loss. The essential fatty acids found in coconut oil metabolise differently from other fats and are easily converted to energy, giving your body a much-needed boost.
- Dairy – If you have always steered clear of dairy given all the talk of how dairy makes you put on weight, think again. New studies show that dairy can, in fact, fuel fat loss. The fact is that if your diet is deficient in calcium, it leads to the release of calcitriol, a hormone that leads to fat storage, so stock up.
- Lentils– Fibre rules when it comes to weight loss, so eat foods that give you enough bulk, keeping hunger pangs at bay and allowing the body to process fat more efficiently. Enjoy a bowl of beans or lentils in peace, and in protein.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – If you have seen apple cider vinegar being propagated by nutritionists and wondered why, here’s your answer. This vinegar is made up of acetic acid, which is known to slow down the release of sugar in the bloodstream, leading to quicker weight loss.
- Berries – They are delicious, can be used in a million ways, and are chock full of fibre that keeps you full. In addition, they have polyphenol antioxidants that help burn fat.