Top 10 Health Benefits Of Drinking Water
There’s an entire bottle of water sitting next to you, and you haven’t even looked at it in the last 4 hours – ridiculous! Drink up, because water is a super-drink, and you seem to have found out only now.We all love our drinks. Choices may vary – it could be a glass of red or a mug of tea, but there is no one who doesn’t love sipping on their liquid glory. What we easily tend to forget during our busy and fast-paced days, however, is the most powerful liquid of all – water. Water is THE most essential fluid required for optimal functioning of all processes in your body. Adequate water intake is crucial to maintain electrolyte balance, keep muscles in good shape, promote healthy digestion, help in weight loss, keep your kidneys healthy and remove toxins from your body.
healthhunt recommends - Alkalen Enhanced Alkaline Water
There are conflicting reports about how much water we should drink. Most experts recommend eight glasses of water a day, while some say one should listen to the cues of one’s body – if you’re thirsty, have a glass. However, a good rule is to check the colour of your urine through the day. If it is clear, you’re well-hydrated, and if it is yellow and cloudy, your hydration level is low. Water has innumerable health benefits. Since our bodies are two-thirds water, it is essential to keep ourselves hydrated.
Here are a few health benefits you never knew water had:
- Water is the best weight-loss companion – Good news! Water is calorie-free, increases your metabolism, makes you feel full, and is helpful in breaking down fat cells. Try and drink warm or cold water, as the body works harder to bring it up to temperature, using up more calories in the process.
2. Water helps us workout better – People who exercise lose more water through sweating and respiration than those who don’t. Being dehydrated can make you feel tired and decrease motivation, apart from lessening physical function.
3. Water helps cure headaches – Most headaches don’t need a pill; just some water will do! Some studies have shown a positive effect of water even on migraine. Sometimes dehydration can be a cause of headaches. Once you start having enough water throughout the day, you will experience that you get headaches less often.
4. Water removes kidney stones – Those little clumps of mineral crystal that make you scream in pain? In most cases, drinking (a lot) of water is enough to flush them out! Having adequate water helps in preventing formation of kidney stones. If you are prone to kidney stones or have had them in the past, you should ensure a steady water intake. It flushes out the deposits that, if accumulated, lead to kidney stone formation.
5. Water improves brain function – Water improves your mood, aids concentration, keeps you alert, and lessens feelings of anxiety. It also helps in improving memory and motor functions. Keep a water bottle at your work desk to remind you to sip water throughout the day.
6. Water prevents constipation – We’ve been told that eating fibre-rich foods is a surefire way to get rid of constipation. While that stands true, our bodies need water to digest them well. If we don’t drink enough, the colon absorbs water from the stool, making it harder and much more difficult to pass.Make sure you drink 2-3 liters of water throughout the day.
7. Water keeps the heart healthy – Research shows that drinking adequate water means a lower risk of death from coronary disease. Dehydration causes the blood to become thicker, making the heart work harder, which can eventually lead to heart problems.
8. Water makes you glow – All that we are within, shows up without – on our skin. Water flushes out toxins from the body, thus making our skin glow, and keeping it free of wrinkles and spots.
9. Water could protect against certain types of cancer – Studies have shown that drinking water could protect against cancers of the bladder, colon, and breast.
10. Water protects joints – Just like a machine’s parts need regular oiling, so do our joints. Water keeps them lubricated, and also keeps cartilage, which is 85 per cent water, supple and elastic.
With all these health benefits from the one drink that most of us take for granted, water is possibly the only thing we can ingest that gives us that much. So what are you waiting for? Drink up!