Try Meditation If You Want A Calm Mind And Flawless Skin
I think I finally know why all these meditators have that rosy glow, that youthfulness, that enviable aura about them.Everyone is on the M-train these days. You can’t blame them. Have you ever looked up the stress levels today compared to the past? Man, oh, man! As per the Mental Health Foundation, that carried out an online poll with 4619 respondents in 2018-
- In the past year, 74% of people have felt so stressed they have been overwhelmed or unable to cope.
- 30% of older people reported never feeling overwhelmed or unable to cope in the past year, compared to 7% of young adults.
- 46% reported that they ate too much or ate unhealthily due to stress. 29% reported that they started drinking or increased their drinking, and 16% reported that they started smoking or increased their smoking.
- 51% of adults who felt stressed reported feeling depressed, and 61% reported feeling anxious.
- Of the people who said they had felt stress at some point in their lives, 16% had self-harmed and 32% said they had had suicidal thoughts and feelings.
- 37% of adults who reported feeling stressed reported feeling lonely as a result.
Nikhil Kapur, tri-athlete, founder and director, Atmantan Wellness Resort, also spoke about the natural ways to calm and de-stress your mind and body, and it’s so powerful!
I highly recommend reading what these experts have to say, if you’ve been struggling with stress yourself, because here is what both these experts emphatically advocate: Meditation.
So, what are the health benefits of meditation?
Meditation helps with stress, improves cognitive function, makes us self-aware, increases attention span and concentration, boosts immunity, and basically brings down our healthcare bill, but here's what I never knew – it blesses you with pulchritudinous (read: flawless) skin. Let’s take a deep dive.
Meditation| Benefits For Mind
- A study conducted on 174 adults, published in The Journal of Behavioural Medicine, observed that meditation reduced symptoms of anxiety disorders, such as phobias, social anxiety, paranoid thoughts, obsessive-compulsive behaviours and panic attacks in just ‘8 sessions’.
- Another study carried out on 2466 participants by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America showed that a variety of different meditation strategies may help reduce overall anxiety levels.
- Studies have found definitive associations between meditation and diminishing depressive symptoms.
- Meditation is also believed to induce an improved self-image and more positive outlook on life in people who practice it regularly.
- It hones qualities like self-awareness and focus in an individual.
- Meditation could support your fight against an addiction. A study published in PubMed showed that when 19 recovering alcoholics were taught how to meditate, they improved at controlling their cravings and craving-related stress.
Image source: http://cdn-img.health.com/
Meditation| Benefits for Skin
Even those who take great care of their skin may be missing this one thing in their skincare routine, which is - meditation.
This next section is for all those people who have never given meditation a fair try, and have held back, despite a plethora of health benefits. It is also for all the dewy-skinned, shiny-faced meditators, who didn’t know what meditation was doing for them, all this while. Presenting to you, 5 ways that meditation gives you beautiful (or shall I say pulchritudinous?) skin from within:
- Choose meditation for the chi factor – Meditation is believed to unleash the vital energies in the body, and help you blossom into a full flower. ‘Chi’ or ‘qi’ energies, as they’re called, cover all the cells and tissues of your skin, pumping them with youthfulness, and bathing them with life essence.
- Choose meditation for youthful skin – The Chinese Taoists, who’ve always focused on creating techniques that vitalise your physical body, have forever advocated meditation as the best way to heal disease, defeat ageing, and look great (at least for your age).
- Choose meditation for flawless skin – We know that stress accelerates ageing in the body, and gives you grey hair and crow’s feet way before they’re supposed to come knocking. Also, stress causes blood flow to be channelled away from the skin, towards the muscles and the internal organs, leaving your skin starved. And we know that meditation beats stress. You put the first 2 and the second 2 together, and what do you get? That’s right, meditation basically means wrinkle-free skin for longer.
- Choose meditation for a beautiful face – Meditation stimulates blood flow and oxygenation throughout the body, aiding in toxin elimination and skin rejuvenation. It helps you be present in every moment, and make logical decisions and smarter choices, that could be good for one’s body, like quitting a bad habit, taking up gardening, or going on that much needed trip.
- Skin disease, what’s that? Such is the beauty of meditation– Research by the University of Sheffield showed that meditation had a positive effect on patients with skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, acne, and vitiligo. In one study, patients who listened to meditation tapes healed 4 times faster than non-meditators.
Image source: http://differenttruths.com/
Psychodermatology, an emerging field in research, studies the interaction between the mind and the skin, and works to understand the connection between psychological disturbances, mental disorders, and their manifestations on the skin. And with whatever we’ve learnt so far, it is safe to say that meditation bridges that gap between the mental, physical, and emotional states of the body, and impacts health in marvellous ways.
To summarise, I’d only say one thing: Even if you think that meditation isn’t ‘your thing’, there is certainly no harm dedicating 15 minutes a day to it. After all, meditation is like oxygen in the stress-ridden 21st century.