You Will Stop Throwing Away Banana Peels Forever, Once You Read This
- 156 Likes
- 0 Comment
You will think twice before you throw away that peel the next time.
Bananas are one of the most widely available fruits, and an excellent source of nutrients and fibre. But did you know that banana peels are immensely useful as well? Banana peels contain fibre, potassium, magnesium, protein, and vitamins B12 and B6. Not only can banana peels be eaten – raw, or by boiling, chopping, frying, adding to smoothies or soups etc., they also have a host of other uses:
- Antioxidant properties – Banana peels are packed with antioxidants, especially carotenoids and polyphenols, which counter the damage caused by free radicals. They help in keeping the skin youthful, and combating cancer-causing cells.
- Fibre benefits – Both soluble and insoluble fibre is found in banana peels. Soluble fibre helps in promoting satiety, while helping to prevent diabetes, and reducing the risk of heart attacks. Insoluble fibre helps with digestion, and hence, with maintaining weight. Bonus – no constipation!
- Vision health – Lutein, an antioxidant found in the peel, takes care of the eyes by preventing macular degeneration and cataract. Lutein is also great for protecting the eyes from the UV rays of the sun. Banana peels can also be used to reduce the puffiness of the eyes. Just place them for a few minutes over your eyes, and see the difference!
- Lowers cholesterol – The soluble fibre found in the peel helps to lower LDL (bad cholesterol).
- Makes you happy – Banana peels contain tryptophan, which helps in the production of serotonin. Serotonin is known to be a mood booster.
- Skin issues – Banana peels are effective in reducing itching, as they contain antihistamines. So you can use them for relief from bug bites, and even from itching due to psoriasis. It is believed that banana peels can be helpful in treating psoriasis. You can also use them to reduce wrinkles and acne, and to moisturise and brighten the skin by rubbing it directly onto your face.
- Whitens teeth – Rubbing the inside of the banana peel on your teeth for a few minutes daily is known to help whiten teeth.
- Polish worthy – Banana peels are great for polishing shoes, leather goods, and silver items.