Another Reason To Love Coffee: Why You Should Consider Drinking Coffee Before Your Workout
It’s true that no one needs an excuse to down an easy cup of coffee, but when science gives you an excuse, and tells you it’ll help you reach your workout goals sooner, you gotta take it, bro. Pounce!
Today is the day you want to work hard on your body. You need an energy boost, maybe a supplement. Before you reach out, though, read on. Coffee is a drink almost no one can say no to. But did you know that it has amazing benefits, if had as a pre-workout drink? Most workout supplements contain caffeine, as it provides a jolt of energy and enhances the effects of the workout. Until 2004, its use was banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency – that’s how well it works!
- Helps burn fat – When we drink coffee, it increases the level of adrenaline in the body, causing fat cells to be used as fuel, which means a stronger workout. It also increases your metabolism, and burns more calories for up to 3 hours, post-workout. It also works as an appetite suppressant – bonus!
- Pain reduction – Studies have shown that caffeine has the ability to reduce the level of perceived pain, helping you to push yourself harder.
- Improved blood circulation – Research says that coffee improves capillary blood flow, which improves the oxygenation of tissues. That may lead to a better performance.
- Mood booster – Caffeine works to release dopamine and norepinephrine. That improves your mood, focus, alertness, and energy levels.
- Higher endurance – Because caffeine burns the fat cells as opposed to glycogen, it delays muscle fatigue. It also reduces the perceived level of exertion, making exercise feel easier.
Is there a catch? Of course! If you want caffeine to aid you during your workout, you have to stop drinking large doses of it through the day, or your body will get used to it, and won’t give you as many benefits. 1-2 small cups before your workout will provide maximum benefits.