7 Superfoods For Acne-Prone Skin
Acne isn’t the end of the world, but it is still a superfood-deserving situation. Bye-bye, acne!So what’s your thing? Toothpaste, egg whites, banana peel, tomato juice? Spit it out (the secret remedy, I mean). You cannot hide it anymore. We’ve all been 14, awkward, and covered in red, angry acne. It took me several years to recover the lost self-esteem from the whole puberty episode.
I certainly do not wish to be young again, thanks. But that’s not to say that my skin is now flawless in any way. I still get mini-volcanoes on my face when I least want it – before a date, an interview, my best friend’s wedding – you name a good occasion, and acne will make sure it’s attending. Thanks for nothing!
It is estimated that 80 percent of all people across the world, between the ages of 11 and 30, experience acne outbreaks at some point in life.
Here are the most common causes of acne:
- Hormonal changes
- Starting or stopping birth control pills
- Certain types of medicine
- Greasy make-up
- An unhealthy diet
Here are the superfoods that your skin needs, to keep acne far, far away:
- Avocado – An excellent source of vitamin E, avocados protect the skin from damage, boost immunity, and keep acne-causing bacteria away from your beautiful skin.
- Fish – Fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, fight inflammation in the body, and prevent the clogging of the pores of the skin, staving off acne.
- Kiwi – Kiwis contains 3 times the amount of vitamin C of oranges. Vitamin C may not directly help acne, but it promotes a healthy immune system, eradicating infections and skin irritations.
- Green tea – The abundance of antioxidants in green tea (polyphenols and flavonols) work to soothe inflammation, boost immunity, and detoxify the body.
- Flax, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds – These seeds are all you need if you’re looking to take your skincare regimen up a notch. Skincare extends beyond creams and lotions. A major part of skincare is what you eat. Flax seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, sunflower in selenium, and pumpkin seeds in zinc – all incredibly favourable for clear, glowing skin.
- Fennel – Did you know that improper digestion could be behind that breakout? Fennel is excellent for digestion, and helps to reduce acne and swelling, by helping eliminate harmful toxic materials from the body.
- Water – No skincare list is ever complete without water. The benefits of water are numerous, and it should suffice to say that you must keep yourself well hydrated, if you want to nail the no-make-up selfies.
That’s all, folks – it’s that simple. Glamour is all about feeling good in your own skin, and what can feel better than vibrant skin?