5 Ways To Start A Self-Love Routine
Are you one of those people who hit the snooze button at least thrice before waking up, and is the first thought through your head, “Oh damn! It’s another day and I have to get out of bed”? Do you growl at anyone who crosses your path in the morning?Our lives are like a time-lapse video where we’re running from one chore to another, from the moment our feet hit the floor in the morning. That leaves us with no time to relax, melt the stresses of the day away, or just take a few moments out for ourselves. I just read a quote that really resonated with me, and motivated me to make some changes to my morning routine.
“How you start your day is often how you live your life.” – Louise Hay.
If you make a few changes to your routine to include some self-love, you’ll instantly feel the difference it makes to your day, and eventually, to yourself and your life.
Here are our top recommendations for starting a self-love routine:
- Treat yourself right – Don’t feel guilty about spending money or time on yourself. Yes, there are a lot of people in the world who need our help. But you need some TLC too. Don’t let anyone mistreat you. If going for a facial or a manicure makes you feel good about yourself, indulge yourself. If you want to read a book and curl up on your sofa with a hot cup of coffee, do it. That pair of shoes you’ve had your eye on for a while? Go buy them. Put yourself first sometimes. It’s okay; others can manage without you for a bit. If you aren’t happy, how do you expect to make others happy?
2. Learn to let go of the negatives – If you’re hurt by something or someone, don’t let it fester inside you. Talk to someone you trust, or learn to let go. You don’t need negative or toxic people/situations weighing you down. If you don’t have someone to talk to, look in the mirror and talk aloud. Release these feelings before they spoil your day, week, or even your year. Feel light, free, unbound, and happy.
3. Listen to yourself – What is it that you want right now? Do you feel like taking a nap, or do you think a yoga session will help ease your tense muscles? Your physical wellbeing is at the absolute core of a healthy mental and physical body. We’re all obsessed with being active and busy all the time. If your body is craving sleep, then give it that. You’ll be equipped to handle your day so much better. It doesn’t mean you have to sleep in late; you could adjust your bedtime and wake-up time to give your mind and body the time it needs to heal. Your body also needs exercise, so give it a few ‘active’ moves every day, and get the adrenaline pumping. I can guarantee you’ll be feeling on top of your game through the day.
4. Learn to forgive yourself – Everyone makes mistakes, and that’s okay. Some might be a little more serious than others. No one is perfect, and if anyone makes you feel small for slipping up, you should seriously rethink hanging with that person. If you’ve made a mistake, acknowledge it, pick yourself up, and put it in the past. Forgiving yourself is the first step in the healing process. You can’t love yourself if you don’t accept yourself completely. Hopefully, you’ll soon come to realise that not only is making mistakes human, but it is essential, to be able to grow as a person.
Image source: https://i1.wp.com/
5. Eat when hungry – Your body needs food just like your soul does. Eat when you’re hungry; don’t overeat, and don’t stay off food, even if you’re dieting. A healthy body and a healthy mind is just what you need. When you listen to your body and it tells you that you’re hungry, just find a place to sit down and eat. It’s an important step in your self-love routine. And give yourself some leeway – you don’t have to eat the right thing at the right time, every single day. If you need a cup of tea to start your morning, find those 10 minutes to do that. Shove all the bad stuff out of your mind, and focus on the good parts.
You basically need to remember that if you take care of yourself and are happy, the world will be an easier place for you, and less stressful, for sure. Remember the things that make you happy, and smile as you wake up and start your day. Love yourself, and everyone will love you back.