5 Habits That Are Accidentally Making You Miserable
- 345 Likes
- 0 Comment
You may not even realise it, but these little habits may be making you a little more miserable every day!
Image source: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/
From finding ourselves bound to the illusion of perfection, to believing in romantic stories and dream jobs, we make ourselves think that life should be a bed of roses. Guess what? It isn’t! Life is what you make of it.
Listed below are a few habits that we all indulge in, which could be contributing towards making your life miserable.
- You take everything personally – You swear at being overtaken while driving. It has been hours, and you’ve been endlessly waiting for your friend to call you back. Your co-worker took his tea break without asking you to come along. You are perpetually offended by all this, and so much more. More often than not, otherwise innocuous actions and words are peppered with your dissatisfaction. Do you realise that happy people don’t do this often? Do you know the unintentional actions of others don’t affect them? Do you know that they don’t take everything personally? Yes, that’s why they are happy!
- Your world revolves around you, and just you – Self-love is a good thing, but only when practiced in restraint. You cannot expect to be the star of your own movie, write your own script, and expect to be wanted always. The real problem arises when you hand over the script to others, and they don’t act in accordance with your set expectations. Happy people don’t abide by a script. They take life as it comes, and allow others (read: newer characters) to star in their flicks. The key lies in embracing plot twists, and taking each day as and when it comes.
- You are addicted to mindlessly killing your time – Be it Netflix, uTorrent, your smartphone, or your laptop – you are perpetually surrounded by seemingly feel-good distractions. Distractions that let you binge-watch, or indulge in mindless thumb twiddling. Happy people don’t do this. They find purpose in each and every activity. They might comfort themselves with their favourite TV show, but as a reward to their productivity, after a long hard day of work. The idea here is to feel accomplished, and worthy of whatever you’re indulging in!
4. You are constantly waiting for a sign – Are you someone who won’t come to a decision, and will wait till eternity for a ‘sign’? Do you always find yourself seeking a trumpet announcement from someone? If yes, then my dear, you are just making your life a tad bit more miserable. Stop this already, and let go of whatever is holding you from within. Adopt a positive mind-set, stop procrastinating, and you shall do just fine.
5. Buying this, that, and whatever you think helps you fill your inner void – In actuality, excessive shopping is just adding to the clutter in your house and in your mind. You are bound to feel overwhelmed and stressed out with all those extra belongings. Try and seek happiness in things that aren’t material possessions. Rewire your habits, open your mind, and change your perspective towards newer possibilities.
To bring your ‘perpetually miserable’ feel to an end, think about volunteering. It doesn’t have to be anything big or structured, but simple stuff that can help you in getting away from self-absorption. Keep in mind that givers are happy, and takers are more often than not miserable. Which one are you?