Top 10 Stress-Busting Foods
Don’t stress it, address it...with these stress-busting, but delicious foods.In the market for stress reduction? Stress can gnaw at your insides, wreaking havoc with your physiology, apart from its psychological impacts. When you are stressed, the amount of cortisol (a hormone) in your body increases, and this is detrimental to your health. Here’s our grocery list that can help you stay calm, and reduce cortisol levels.
- Asparagus – Add these green stalks to your daily diet to reduce cortisol levels. Since asparagus is high in folates, consuming it will help you keep your calm.
- Cashews – Since low levels of zinc are thought to cause both anxiety and depression, eat foods high in it to fight stress. Cashews may not be your best bet if you are trying to cut down on calories, but they are packed with zinc and help keep stress at bay.
3. Chamomile tea – It’s true that chamomile can lull you to sleep, and has restorative powers. The calming effect of this tea cannot be stressed enough, as it works well to keep you calm and centred.
Buy it here - Deha’s Organic Chamomile Green Tea
4. Salmon – Want to keep the stress hormone at bay? Bite into a delicious wild salmon steak, that will reduce your cortisol levels. Given that it is full of omega-3 fatty acids, salmon helps reduce inflammation and stress in the body.
5. Garlic – You may not like the lingering aftertaste of garlic, but it is increasingly being recognised as a smart food. It helps increase testosterone levels and nitric oxide in the body, and also has anti-inflammatory properties. This, in turn, helps reduce cortisol levels as well.
6. Spinach – The health benefits of spinach are manifold. This green leaf is rich in magnesium, which works beautifully to maintain cortisol levels in your body. As an added benefit, it is also rich in vitamin C and iron.
7. Citrus fruits – Heading to a big meeting that’s making you nervous? Have a quick bowl of fresh citric fruits, that are packed with vitamin C. This helps slow down the production of cortisol in your body, hence reducing stress.
8. Apricots – Beta-carotene, which is one of the key ingredients in apricots, has been found to help lower depression and anxiety, and comes highly recommended, dried or fresh.
Click here to buy - Organic Apricots
9. Walnuts – Nuts are not called superfoods for nothing. An ingredient called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is found in abundance in walnuts, is said to be an excellent cortisol kicker, so grab a handful today!
Try this - Rostaa Walnut Value Pack 500 gm
10. Dark chocolate – And we saved the best for last! Believe it or not, delicious dark chocolate is the perfect mood elevator, if consumed in the right quantity. Dark chocolate contains polyphenols that prevent oxidation, and also lift your mood.